Asteroid Rocket was a game I created as part of a
first year software engineering course.
This was the first GUI I made, and also my first game on PC.
A Java 2 runtime environment (minimum 1.3.7_03) is required to run
Here are some facts about this project:
- It is based on the old arcade classic asteroids.
- It was written entirely in 10 days in April 2002, and has
not been altered since.
- A seperate polygon class was written to handle the different
sizes and rotations of the asteroid.
- A new algorithm was written to handle exact collisions
between polygons instead of the standard Java algorithm that
detected overlapping bounding boxes.
- The asteroids are randomly generated so you never play the
same game twice.
- The star field in the background is randomly generated, but
consistant between the in-game and menu screens.
- I forgot to spell check, so asteroid is spelt two
different ways in both the GUI and source.
- This game was developed entirely on Windows, and thus
different sized fonts on Linux or Mac are not handled fully.
This does not affect gameplay.